Thursday, November 10, 2016

Selling Books at Conventions



There are many writing styles.  In the art of business writing for example, an author will have headings and subheadings for the different parts of the product description.  On that point, what if my style of writing for this week (mind you, it could change tomorrow) was all about descriptions?  In this way, all that I would have to come up with were things to describe about.

For example, I will describe to you what it’s like to sell copies of a novel at a science fiction convention.  First of all, an author will need a pitch for convincing a potential buyer to purchase a copy of the novel.  The first line I used to lure a potential buyer was “Imagine a tale where Star Wars meets Romeo and Juliet…  After that line I continue to summarize the rest of my novel.  However, there is usually only time for the highlights so that no matter how much I tell them about my novel, there is always something left hidden away that didn’t get divulged.

When I do get a sale at these conventions, it’s best to give a small percentage of the earnings to the group who sponsored the booth in the first place.  Of course, I have never gotten enough earnings to share some of it with the top guy of the writing group that I belong to, but all I need to do, is to step up and spiffy up my marketing plans so that one day, I’ll be on the same page as every other author that participates.

No comments:

Post a Comment