Thursday, November 10, 2016

That Amen Moment



That Amen Moment

     The Amen moment for me is when I’ve finished a novel-length book cover to cover.  I’ll literally stare at the last page and feel like wow! The proverbial “The End” at the last page might have read “Amen,” because it is usually somewhat of a religious experience. 
     Of days past, I have read Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables, Voltaire’s Candide and Emily Bronte’s Pride and Prejudice.  Some of the more current ones were Barbara Kingsolver’s Poisonwood Bible, Isabel Allende’s Daughter of Fortune, the first two novels of Gerald Hansen’s which were An Embarrassment of Riches and Hand in the Till, among others…
     Each time when I find myself in the middle of reading one of these fine books, I’m in awe at how each author could keep the facts and plot points so much on target.  They never missed a beat.  It is fabled that each author has to read 100 novels before he has enough material to pen one of his own.  I really took this belief to heart, but my thinking was even if I read the same novel twice, that should count as two separate novels.  Therefore, the number of novels I read, multiplied in this way.
     I even read Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment and got a glimpse of Russia before the Cold War (which has now passed).  As Dostoyevsky’s lead character walked the Russian streets and lived his life after murdering his landlady and taking her money, it could easily have been taken place in a universal setting such as New York City.  That story was cosmopolitan, and cosmopolitan is a word I’ve been trying to incorporate into my next novel.
     As of late I’ve only read the first book of the Harry Potter series, which is Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone, but this is because the first novel I wrote was a science fiction one, and therefore now I’m pressured to steer away from the classics, in order to get caught up on all of the required science fiction readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment